.

.
.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Toomey

 In learning what people do out here on the road there's John Toomey. John has been the tour manager/drummer for Jason since I've been out here and I've respected the hell out of what all he's had to do. He practices his drumming during the day (be it in a hotel or in the van), he talks with the upcoming club or fair contacts, hotels, etc... to make sure that everybody is on the same page and that they know what we're bringing and what all "accommodations" they'll supply. He's the one who gives you your hotel room key and tells you where to go (literally if need be). He deals with everything from the sound, to the security to the errand runners to who who'll help us with the unloading of equipment and set up of the stage to when we can actually "set up" and do our sound check. All I have to do is reach out to the guy (who's name John's given me) and set up my little merch table. John has to make sure everybody get's up in the morning, make sure we're leaving on time, make sure that everything runs smoothly for Jason basically in every way (in addition to trying to keep the band "happy"). It's a LOT of shit that would stress my out. Basically, everything's his fault or not when it comes down to it. John's a good person for this. He's a "steady hand". When I first started driving the van (with trailer) a few weeks back, I was hauling ass down the road and then BOOM right there in front of me a truck had a rear tire explode! I kinda freaked a little and John said immediately "just stay straight and everything's fine". It's the way somebody says something that's as important as what they say. I immediately was calm because he was. That's who you want sitting beside you when shit like that happens. We all could use that steady hand. You're born with it or not. John's born with it.
P.S., he SAYS he from Mobile,AL but that's bullshit. He's too blunt to be from "The South". STILL investigating his origins.

No comments:

Post a Comment